Readers sent me some wonderful comfort food, cold weather recipes and I’ll me posting them here on this blog. I may end up posting into November since I had so many good suggestions.
Thanks Bina, for this Broccoli Cheddar Cheese soup recipe
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- salt & pepper
- 1 quart plus 1 can (14.5 ounce) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup instant potato flakes
- 3 to 4 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (plus more for topping)
- Melt butter in a large French oven over medium heat. Add carrots and onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add potato flakes and stir. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cheese and return heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes minutes. Season salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with cheese.
I tend to make broccoli cheddar soup quite a bit once the weather changes. I don’t have A/C so we tend to BBQ most of the hot weather. Now that its cold (we went from 22C to 0 ) I will be making quite a bit of soups, stews and chili’s.
Diane’s recipe suggestion is Turkey Chili
I make this often myself. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top.
I found a recipe online:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans – drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
- Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Would you like to enter the contest??? Deadline to enter: October 31st. Drawing will be on or about November 1st. Here’s what you have a chance to WIN.
PRIZES: $5 Amazon Gift Card and a Free eBook from my back list
HOW TO ENTER: Join my mailing list Click HERE to sign up. (Only members are illegible for this contest. Once you’re confirmed, send me your favorite fall recipe idea. You don’t have to send the whole recipe if you don’t want. After signing up, you’ll automatically receive the link for a free book! Unsubscribe at any time. You can email me the recipe: kathykulig @ rcn . com (no spaces)
**Check back for more recipes this month.**